
Tom Perrotta's second look at The Breakfast Club reveals John Hughes as the beginning, not the end, of American teenage cinema. (Guardian)
For more than 20 years now, The Breakfast Club has occupied a place of honour on the list of Movies I Love to Hate, right up there with Jerry Maguire, another overrated film that commits crowd-pleasing moral hara-kiri in the third act. But 20 years is a long time to despise something that most other people claim to enjoy, and the release of a new DVD box set - John Hughes High School Year Book: Sixteen Candles/Weird Science/The Breakfast Club - gave me a good excuse to revisit my old nemesis and find out if one of us had changed.
There are a couple of things I can say with certainty after my second viewing of the film. The first is that the editors of Entertainment Weekly must have been high when they compiled their list. There is no way in hell that The Breakfast Club comes close to deserving the title of best high school movie of all time. It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Richard Linklater's Dazed and Confused, for example, which is funnier and more perceptive, far more authentic and alive, and much more interesting as both social history and cinema. To claim that Hughes's film is somehow superior to Fast Times at Ridgemont High, American Graffiti or Superbad, among others, borders on wilful perversity. The second thing I can say is that I no longer hate The Breakfast Club.
0 Yorumlar